Departments & Organizations
Child Study Center: Lombroso Lab
Education & Training:
Bsc. Biochemistry, University of Madras, Chennai (1996)
Msc. Biochemistry, Shivaji University, Kolhapur (1999)
PhD. Biotechnology, RGCB, University of Kerala,Trivandrum (2006)
Research interest: My research focuses on the role of STriatal Enriched Protein tyrosine phosphatase (STEP) in higher order brain functions such as learning and memory and its implications in neuronal disorders.
1. Kurup P, Zhang Y, Xu J, Venkitaramani DV, Haroutunian V, Greengard P, Nairn A, Lombroso PJ (2010) Abeta-mediated NMDAR endocytosis in Alzheimer’s disease involves ubiquitination of the tyrosine phosphatase STEP. J Neurosci 30:5948-5957.
2. Zhang YF, Kurup P, Xu J, Carty N, Fernandez S, Nygaard HB, Pittenger C, Greengard P,Strittmatter S, Nairn AC, Lombroso PJ (2010) Genetic reduction of the tyrosine phosphatase STEP reverses cognitive and cellular deficits in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. PNAS 107: 19014-19019. (F1000 cited article)
3. Kurup P, ZhangYF, Venkitaramani DV, Xu J, Lombroso PJ (2010) The Role of STEP in Alzheimer’s Disease. Channels 4:347-350.
4. Baum ML, Kurup P, Xu J, Lombroso PJ (2010) A STEP forward in neural function and degeneration. Communicative & Integrative Biology 3:419-422. PMC2974069
5. Zhang YF, Kurup P*, Xu J, Anderson GM, Greengard P, Nairn AC, Lombroso PJ (2011) Reduced levels of the tyrosine phosphatase STEP block beta amyloid-mediated GluA1/GluA2 receptor internalization. J Neurochem. 2011 Aug 28. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-4159.2011.07450.x. (*equal first author and corresponding author)
6. Xu J, Kurup P, Zhang Y, Goebel-Goody SM, Wu PH, Hawasli AH, Baum ML, Bibb JA, Lombroso PJ (2009) Extrasynaptic NMDA receptors couple preferentially to excitotoxicity via calpain-mediated cleavage of STEP. J Neurosci 29:9330-9343.
7. Xu J, Kurup P, Bartos JA, Patriarchi T, Hell JW, Lombroso PJ (2012). Striatal-enriched Protein- tyrosine Phosphatase (STEP) Regulates Pyk2 Kinase Activity.J Biol Chem. 287(25):20942-56.
8. Carty N, Xu J, Kurup P, Brouillette J, Goebel-Goody SM, Austin DR, Yuan P, Chen G, Correa PR, Haroutunian V, Pittenger C, Lombroso PJ (2012) The tyrosine phosphatase STEP: Implications in Schizhophrenia and the molecular mechanism underlying antipsychotic medications. Transl Psychiatry (PMID: 22781170).
9. Zhang Y, Venkitaramani DV, Gladding CM, Kurup P, Molnar E, Collingridge GL, Lombroso PJ (2008) The tyrosine phosphatase STEP mediates AMPA receptor endocytosis after metabotropic glutamate receptor stimulation. J Neurosci 28:10561-10566.
10. Choi YS, Lin SL, Lee B, Kurup P, Cho HY, Naegele JR, Lombroso PJ, Obrietan K (2007) Status epilepticus-induced somatostatinergic hilar interneuron degeneration is regulated by striatal enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase. J Neurosci 27:2999-3009.
11. Xu J, Kurup P, Nairn AC, Lombroso PJ (2012) STriatal Enriched Protein tyrosine phosphatase in Alzheimer’s Disease. Adv Pharmacol. (in press)
12. Venkitaramani DV, Paul S, Zhang Y, Kurup P, Ding L, Tressler L, Allen M, Sacca R, Picciotto MR,Lombroso PJ (2009) Knockout of striatal enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase in mice results in increased ERK1/2 phosphorylation. Synapse 63:69-81.
13. Kurup P, Xu J, Goebel-Goody SM, Paul S, Lombroso PJ (in press) Striatal enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase. Encyclopedia of Signaling Molecules,Springer Science, New York.
14. Goebel-Goody SM, Baum ML, Paspalas CD, Fernandez S, Carty N, Kurup P, Lombroso PJ (2012). Therapeutic implications for striatal enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase (STEP) in Neuropsychiatric disorders. Pharmacol Rev 64:65-87.
15. Paspalas CD, Perley CC, Venkitaramani DV, Goebel-Goody SM, Zhang Y, Kurup P, Mattis JH, Lombroso PJ (2009) Major vault protein is expressed along the nucleus-neurite axis and associates with mRNAs in cortical neurons. Cereb Cortex 19:1666-1677
16. Praseeda M, Pradeep KK, Krupa A, Krishna SS, Leena S, Kumar RR, Cheriyan J, Mayadevi M, Srinivasan N, Omkumar RV (2004) Influence of a mutation in the ATP-binding region of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II on its interaction with peptide substrates. Biochem J 378:391-397.
17. Pradeep KK, Cheriyan J, Suma Priya SD, Rajeevkumar R, Mayadevi M, Praseeda M, Omkumar RV (2009) Regulation of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II catalysis by N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunit 2B. Biochem J 419:123-132.
18. Raveendran R, Devi Suma Priya S, Mayadevi M, Steephan M, Santhoshkumar TR, Cheriyan J, Sanalkumar R, Pradeep KK, James J, Omkumar RV (2009) Phosphorylation status of the NR2B subunit of NMDA receptor regulates its interaction with calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. J Neurochem. 110:92-105.
19. Cheriyan J, Mohanan AG, Kurup PK, Mayadevi M, Omkumar RV (2012) Effect of Multimeric Structure of CaMKII in the GluN2B-Mediated Modulation of Kinetic Parameters of ATP. PLoS One 7:e45064.
20. Xu J, Chatterjee M, Baguley, TD, Brouillette J, Kurup P, Kanyo J, Zhang Y, Seyb K, Ononenyi C, Anderson GM, Gresack J, Cuny GD, Glicksman MA, Greengard P, Lam TT, Nairn AC, Tautz L, Ellman JA, Lombroso PJ (2014) Inhibitors of the Tyrosine Phosphatase STEP Reverse Cognitivedeficits in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease model. PLoS Biology e1001923.
21. Kurup P, Xu J, Videira RA, Ononenyi C, Baltazar G, Lombroso PJ, Nairn AC (2015) STEP61 is a substrate of the E3 ligase parkin and is upregulated in Parkinson’s disease. PNAS 112: 1202-7.
22. Xu J, Kurup P, Foscue E, Lombroso PJ. Regulation of PTPa by STriatal-Enriched protein tyrosinevPhosphatase (STEP) J Neurochem. (in press)
23. Saavedra A, Puigdellívol M, Tyebji S, Kurup P, Xu J, Ginés S, Alberch J, Lombroso PJ,Pérez- Navarro E (2015) BDNF induces STriatal- Enriched protein tyrosine Phosphatase 61 degradation through the proteasome. Mol Neurobiol. (PMID: 26223799)
Education & Training
|PhD||University of Kerala (2005)|