Michael A Ben-Avie PhD
Lecturer in the Child Study Center
As an Associate Research Scientist at the Yale Child Study Center’s School Development Program, I conducted large-scale assessment activities over the course of 10 years regarding effective ways to promote students' learning and development. My current research interests include translating research findings about autism spectrum disorders and print disabilities into instructional practice and related technologies.
Current ProjectsU.S. Department of Education Institute of Education Services (IES) grant: "Handheld Technology to Improve Educational Outcomes for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders"
Outcome evaluations of psychological and educational interventions that are designed to promote the learning and development of vulnerable children and youth
Extensive Research Description
- Nationally-recognized expert on public education as co-editor of six books on educational change and youth development with James. P. Comer, M.D., Associate Dean of the Yale School of Medicine and Founder of the Yale School Development Program, and colleagues.
- Academic Psychologist: Member of the American Psychological Association (APA) since 1998.
- As Principal Investigator and Co-P.I., conducted outcome evaluations of federal grants, including grants from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Center for Substance Abuse Treatment; U.S. Department of Education; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Center for Mental Health Services; and a collaboration among the U.S. Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Justice.
- Federal Registry: In 2005, accepted for inclusion in the U.S. Department of Education, Institute for Education Sciences’ What Works Clearinghouse Registry of Evaluation Researchers.
- Research Director and Chair: Tag Institute for Social Development, an international think tank and research center.
- Institutional Coordinator of International Study: International Assessment of Higher Education Learning Outcomes (AHELO). AHELO was an international study conducted by the 34-nation Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Data Management: Multi-State Collaborative to Advance Learning Outcomes Assessment, Data Management Subgroup member.
- Data Analyst: Connecticut General Assembly Special Act 08-5: An Act Concerning the Teaching of Children with Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities (2008-2009).
- Data Analyst. Connecticut General Assembly PA 05-280: New State Department of Aging Study Group (2007), Data Analyst.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Advisory Council (ASDAC), Subcommittee to Improve and Expand Access to Training, Consultation, and Learning Opportunities for Providers, Professionals, and Families.