Autistic Disorder; Canada; Child Psychiatry; Depression; Tourette Syndrome; Netherlands; Neurobiology; Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic; Attention Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders; Neuropsychiatry
Specialized Center of Research (SCOR) to Develop Gender-Sensitive Treatment for Tobacco Dependence
Research includes studies on the neurobiology of childhood neuropsychiatric disorders including autism, Tourette syndrome and ADHD, as well as adult depression, PTSD and addiction.
Specialized Terms: Stress response systems; Serotonin neurochemistry and psychopharmacology; Early biomarkers
Extensive Research DescriptionResearch includes studies on the neurobiology of childhood neuropsychiatric disorders including autism, Tourette syndrome and ADHD, as well as adult depression, PTSD and addiction.
In a large Dutch collaborative study, we have demonstrated bimodal distribution of platelet serotonin in autism. Follow-up studies are attempting to identify disorder- and subgroup-specific alterations of potential etiological significance. Possible neurochemical (catecholamines) and neuroendocrine predictors and surrogates of treatment response in autism are being examined in multi-center studies coordinated by Dr. Lawrence Scahill of the Yale Child Study Center. In collaboration with Dr. Sylvie Tordjman of the University of Rennes, we are examining pineal function and sleep problems in autism, as well as investigating the relationship of ß-endorphin, pain reactivity and self-injurious behavior in autism.
Collaborative studies with three primate facilities have examined the ontogeny of neurotransmitter systems in rhesus monkeys and chimpanzee, neurochemical-behavioral correlates, and the effects of the short- and long-term SSRI in adolescent and adult rhesus. A series of collaborative human studies examine hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and sympathoadrenomedullary functioning in ADHD, Tourette syndrome, PTSD, smoking behavior, substance abuse, depression and trauma.
- Anderson GM. The potential role for emergence in autism. Autism Research, 1:18-30, 2008.
- Anderson GM, Scahill L, McCracken JT, et al. Effects of short- and long-term risperidone treatment on prolactin levels in children with autism.Biological Psychiatry, 61:545-50, 2007.
- Anderson GM, Jacobs-Stannard A, Chawarska K, Volkmar FR, Kliman HJ. Placental Trophoblast Inclusions in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Biological Psychiatry, 61:487-91, 2007.
- Tordjman S, Anderson GM, Pichard N, et al. Nocturnal excretion of 6-sulphatoxymelatonin in children and adolescents with autistic disorder. Biological Psychiatry. 57:134-8, 2005
- Anderson GM, Barr CS, Lindell S, Durham AC, Shifrovich I, Higley JD. Time course of the effects of the serotonin-selective reuptake inhibitor sertraline on central and peripheral serotonin neurochemistry in the rhesus monkey. Psychopharmacology. 178:339-46, 2005.