Child Study Center: Developmental Electrophysiology Lab
Dr Rutherford's research focuses on understanding the neurobiology of parenting and the development of new approaches to assess parenting in the laboratory. She uses primarily behavioral and electrophysiological assessments, and her recent work has focused on measuring sensitivity to infant cues (visual and auditory) as well as top-down regulation of response to infant cues by cognitive control. She is also interested in how addiction may impact these processes, as well as assessing the contribution of other individual difference measures to the neural correlates of parenting. Dr Rutherford’s additional research interests include emotion perception and regulation, as well as developmental changes that occur during adolescence in sensitivity to reward and stress.Dr. Rutherford is the Yale Course Tutor for the University College London / Anna Freud Centre and Yale Child Study Center Masters degree in Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology.
Extensive Research Description
Individual differences in the neural correlates of infant cue perception
Maternal distress tolerance and stress reactivity
Investigating the impact of parental status and depression symptoms on the early perceptual coding of infant faces: An event-related potential study.
Noll L.K., Mayes, L.C., Rutherford, H.J.V. Investigating the impact of parental status and depression symptoms on the early perceptual coding of infant faces: An event-related potential study. Social Neuroscience, in press.
Disruption of maternal parenting circuitry by addictive process: Rewiring of reward and stress systems.
Rutherford H.J.V., S.K. Williams, S. Moy, L.C. Mayes, J.M. Johns. Disruption of maternal parenting circuitry by addictive process: Rewiring of reward and stress systems. Front. Psychiatry. 2011, 2:37.
- Rutherford H.J.V., and L.C. Mayes. Primary maternal preoccupation: Using neuroimaging techniques to explore the parental brain. Psyche. 2011, 65:973-988.
- Rutherford H.J.V., and A.K. Lindell. Thriving and surviving: Approach and avoidance motivation and lateralization. Emotion Review. 2011, 3:3 333-343.
Neurobiology of Adolescent Substance Use Disorders: Implications for Prevention and Treatment
Rutherford H.J.V., L.C. Mayes, M.N. Potenza. Neurobiology of adolescent substance use disorders: Implications for prevention and treatment. Child Adol Psych Cl. 2010, 3:3 479-492.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- von Mohr M, Crowley MJ, Walthall J, Mayes LC, Pelphrey KA, Rutherford HJV: EEG captures affective touch: CT-optimal touch and neural oscillations. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2018 Feb. PMID: 29404917
- Maupin AN, Rutherford HJV, Landi N, Potenza MN, Mayes LC: Investigating the association between parity and the maternal neural response to infant cues. Soc Neurosci. 2018 Jan 8; 2018 Jan 8. PMID: 29291661
- Rutherford HJV, Guo XM, Wu J, Graber KM, Hayes NJ, Pelphrey KA, Mayes LC: Intranasal oxytocin decreases cross-frequency coupling of neural oscillations at rest. Int J Psychophysiol. 2018 Jan; 2017 Sep 28. PMID: 28965930
- Kim S, Iyengar U, Mayes LC, Potenza MN, Rutherford HJV, Strathearn L: Mothers with substance addictions show reduced reward responses when viewing their own infant's face. Hum Brain Mapp. 2017 Nov; 2017 Jul 26. PMID: 28746733
- Rutherford HJV, Guo XM, Graber KM, Hayes NJ, Pelphrey KA, Mayes LC: Intranasal oxytocin and the neural correlates of infant face processing in non-parent women. Biol Psychol. 2017 Oct; 2017 Aug 8. PMID: 28800972
- Mosner MG, Kinard JL, McWeeny S, Shah JS, Markiewitz ND, Damiano-Goodwin CR, Burchinal MR, Rutherford HJV, Greene RK, Treadway MT, Dichter GS: Vicarious Effort-Based Decision-Making in Autism Spectrum Disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. 2017 Oct. PMID: 28699053
- Rutherford HJV, Maupin AN, Landi N, Potenza MN, Mayes LC: Parental reflective functioning and the neural correlates of processing infant affective cues. Soc Neurosci. 2017 Oct; 2016 Jun 8. PMID: 27253222
- Rolison MJ, Naples AJ, Rutherford HJV, McPartland JC: Modulation of reward in a live social context as revealed through interactive social neuroscience. Soc Neurosci. 2017 Jun 14; 2017 Jun 14. PMID: 28586261
- Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC: Parenting and addiction: neurobiological insights. Curr Opin Psychol. 2017 Jun; 2017 Feb 20. PMID: 28813269
- Kim S, Kwok S, Mayes LC, Potenza MN, Rutherford HJV, Strathearn L: Early adverse experience and substance addiction: dopamine, oxytocin, and glucocorticoid pathways. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017 Apr; 2016 Aug 10. PMID: 27508337
- Rutherford HJV, Byrne SP, Austin GM, Lee JD, Crowley MJ, Mayes LC: Anxiety and neural responses to infant and adult faces during pregnancy. Biol Psychol. 2017 Apr; 2017 Mar 6. PMID: 28274659
- Bridgett DJ, Kanya MJ, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC: Maternal executive functioning as a mechanism in the intergenerational transmission of parenting: Preliminary evidence. J Fam Psychol. 2017 Feb; 2016 Dec 8. PMID: 27929313
- Edwards ES, Holzman JB, Burt NM, Rutherford HJV, Mayes LC, Bridgett DJ: Maternal Emotion Regulation Strategies, Internalizing Problems and Infant Negative Affect. J Appl Dev Psychol. 2017 Jan-Feb; 2016 Dec 29. PMID: 28785122
- Rutherford H, Mayes LC: Should Pregnant Women Worry About Caffeine? Biol Psychiatry. 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 27697155
- Maupin AN, Roginiel AC, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC: A Preliminary Review of Whether Prior Reproductive Experience Influences Caregiving. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2016 Sep. PMID: 27589499
- Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC: Introduction to Maternal Brain Plasticity: Preclinical and Human Research and Implications for Intervention. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2016 Sep. PMID: 27589494
- Wilbanks HE, Von Mohr M, Potenza MN, Mayes LC, Rutherford HJ: Tobacco Smoking and the Resting Maternal Brain: A Preliminary Study of Frontal EEG. Yale J Biol Med. 2016 Jun; 2016 Jun 27. PMID: 27354838
- Vazquez L, Blood JD, Wu J, Chaplin TM, Hommer RE, Rutherford HJ, Potenza MN, Mayes LC, Crowley MJ: High frequency heart-rate variability predicts adolescent depressive symptoms, particularly anhedonia, across one year. J Affect Disord. 2016 May 15; 2016 Feb 17. PMID: 26943940
- Carter Leno V, Naples A, Cox A, Rutherford H, McPartland JC: Common and distinct modulation of electrophysiological indices of feedback processing by autistic and psychopathic traits. Soc Neurosci. 2016; 2015 Nov 16. PMID: 26471250
- Rutherford HJ, Graber KM, Mayes LC: Depression symptomatology and the neural correlates of infant face and cry perception during pregnancy. Soc Neurosci. 2016; 2015 Nov 11. PMID: 26465979
- Blood JD, Wu J, Chaplin TM, Hommer R, Vazquez L, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC, Crowley MJ: The variable heart: High frequency and very low frequency correlates of depressive symptoms in children and adolescents. J Affect Disord. 2015 Nov 1; 2015 Jul 26. PMID: 26233322
- Cox A, Kohls G, Naples AJ, Mukerji CE, Coffman MC, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC, McPartland JC: Diminished social reward anticipation in the broad autism phenotype as revealed by event-related brain potentials. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2015 Oct; 2015 Mar 9. PMID: 25752905
- Rutherford HJ, Gerig G, Gouttard S, Potenza MN, Mayes LC: Investigating Maternal Brain Structure and its Relationship to Substance Use and Motivational Systems. Yale J Biol Med. 2015 Sep; 2015 Sep 3. PMID: 26339203
- Rutherford HJ, Booth CR, Luyten P, Bridgett DJ, Mayes LC: Investigating the association between parental reflective functioning and distress tolerance in motherhood. Infant Behav Dev. 2015 Aug; 2015 Jun 1. PMID: 26025253
- Rutherford HJ, Wallace NS, Laurent HK, Mayes LC: Emotion Regulation in Parenthood. Dev Rev. 2015 Jun 1. PMID: 26085709
- Malak SM, Crowley MJ, Mayes LC, Rutherford HJ: Maternal anxiety and neural responses to infant faces. J Affect Disord. 2015 Feb 1; 2014 Oct 19. PMID: 25451433
- Maupin AN, Hayes NJ, Mayes LC, Rutherford HJ: The Application of Electroencephalography to Investigate the Neural Bases of Parenting: A Review. Parent Sci Pract. 2015 Jan. PMID: 26120286
- Panwar K, Rutherford HJ, Mencl WE, Lacadie CM, Potenza MN, Mayes LC: Differential associations between impulsivity and risk-taking and brain activations underlying working memory in adolescents. Addict Behav. 2014 Nov; 2013 Dec 18. PMID: 24582821
- Sreekrishnan A, Herrera TA, Wu J, Borelli JL, White LO, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC, Crowley MJ: Kin rejection: social signals, neural response and perceived distress during social exclusion. Dev Sci. 2014 Nov; 2014 Jun 9. PMID: 24909389
- Thompson-Booth C, Viding E, Mayes LC, Rutherford HJ, Hodsoll S, McCrory E: I can't take my eyes off of you: attentional allocation to infant, child, adolescent and adult faces in mothers and non-mothers. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Oct 29. PMID: 25353640
- Daughters SB, Gorka SM, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC: Maternal and adolescent distress tolerance: the moderating role of gender. Emotion. 2014 Apr; 2013 Dec 23. PMID: 24364854
- Rutherford HJ, Goldberg B, Luyten P, Bridgett DJ, Mayes LC: Parental reflective functioning is associated with tolerance of infant distress but not general distress: evidence for a specific relationship using a simulated baby paradigm. Infant Behav Dev. 2013 Dec; 2013 Jul 30. PMID: 23906942
- Mayes L, Rutherford H, Suchman N, Close N: The Neural and Psychological Dynamics of Adults' Transition to Parenthood. Zero Three. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23616691
- Rutherford HJ, Wareham JD, Vrouva I, Mayes LC, Fonagy P, Potenza MN: Sex differences moderate the relationship between adolescent language and mentalization. Personal Disord. 2012 Oct; 2012 Jul 16. PMID: 22800178
- White LO, Wu J, Borelli JL, Rutherford HJ, David DH, Kim-Cohen J, Mayes LC, Crowley MJ: Attachment dismissal predicts frontal slow-wave ERPs during rejection by unfamiliar peers. Emotion. 2012 Aug; 2012 Jan 16. PMID: 22251047
- Montoya JL, Landi N, Kober H, Worhunsky PD, Rutherford HJ, Mencl WE, Mayes LC, Potenza MN: Regional brain responses in nulliparous women to emotional infant stimuli. PLoS One. 2012; 2012 May 10. PMID: 22590530
- Noll LK, Mayes LC, Rutherford HJ: Investigating the impact of parental status and depression symptoms on the early perceptual coding of infant faces: an event-related potential study. Soc Neurosci. 2012; 2012 Mar 21. PMID: 22435403
- Rutherford HJ, Williams SK, Moy S, Mayes LC, Johns JM: Disruption of maternal parenting circuitry by addictive process: rewiring of reward and stress systems. Front Psychiatry. 2011; 2011 Jul 6. PMID: 21779252
- Landi N, Montoya J, Kober H, Rutherford HJ, Mencl WE, Worhunsky PD, Potenza MN, Mayes LC: Maternal neural responses to infant cries and faces: relationships with substance use. Front Psychiatry. 2011; 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21720537
- Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC, Potenza MN: Neurobiology of adolescent substance use disorders: implications for prevention and treatment. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20682216
- Cheung CH, Rutherford HJ, Mayes LC, McPartland JC: Neural responses to faces reflect social personality traits. Soc Neurosci. 2010; 2010 Jun 7. PMID: 20544557