Adaptation, Psychological; Psychology, Adolescent; Child Development; Creativity; Identity Crisis; Juvenile Delinquency; Longitudinal Studies; Personality; Psychometrics; Self Concept; Statistics
Public Health Interests
Psychosocial risk factors
Dr. Barbot is Assistant Professor of Quantitative Methods in the Department of Psychology at Pace University, and Adjunct Assistant Professor at Yale University, Child Study Center. His background is in both Developmental and Differential (Individual Differences) Psychology. He earned his Ph.D. from Paris Descartes University in 2008, after which he pursued his career in the U.S. as a Postdoc Fellow, associate Research Scientist, and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Child Study Center. He is also an Associate Editor of APA’s Division 10 Journal, Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity and the Arts, as well as Associate Editor of Wiley’s thematic journal, New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development. His research focuses on the study of development from early adolescence to emerging adulthood with a focus on cognitive (in particular, creative cognition), psychosocial (self and identity), and motivational dimensions that underline this development. The ultimate goal of this work is to develop age-appropriate interventions that support cognitive and psychosocial development of youth in the general community, as well as special needs youth including adolescents with externalizing and delinquency-related behaviors and children and adolescents with mental health needs. His recent research efforts in this direction (funded by the Imagination Institute) have led to the development of a Virtual Reality (VR) based intervention program that engage youth in unusual problem solving, embodied perspective taking, and unfamiliar experiences, to trigger change in their cognitive and psychosocial development. Other ongoing projects currently led by Dr. Barbot include the development of touch-screen based measures of creative cognition (funded by the American Psychological Foundation, David Wechsler Award for Innovative Work in Cognition), and a large longitudinal study on the relation between creative potential and identity challenges of adolescents, including a sub sample of adolescents involved with the juvenile justice system (funded by the Spencer Foundation). Author of several psychometric tests and assessment techniques, he has also strong interest in psychological and educational measurement, and the application of new methods for the study and modeling of change and development. Through his expertise in the matter, he is involved in numerous international projects focusing on mental health and psychosocial adjustment among adolescents and at-risks populations. He has taught developmental psychology, differential psychology, psychometrics, research methods and statistics in both France and the United States.
- Hein, S., Barbot, B., Square, A., Chapman, J., Foley-Geib, C., & Grigorenko, E. L. (in press). Violent offending among juveniles: A 7-year longitudinal study of recidivism, desistance, and associations with mental health. Law and Human Behavior.
- Barbot, B., (2016). Perspectives on Creativity Development. New Direction for Child and Adolescent Development. 151, 7–8, Doi:10.1002/cad.20146
- Barbot, B., Besançon, & M., Lubart T.I. (2016). The generality-specificity of Creativity: Exploring the Structure of Creative Potential with EPoC. Learning and Individual Differences, 52,178-187. Doi: 10.1016/j.lindif.2016.06.005
- Barbot, B., Bick J., Bentley, M. J., Balestracci, K.M.B, Woolston, J.L., Adnopoz, J.A., & Grigorenko, E.L. (2016). Changes in Mental Health Outcomes with the Intensive In-Home Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Service: a Multi-Informant, Latent Consensus Approach. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 25(1), 33-43. DOI: 10.1002/mpr.1477
- Barbot, B., Krivulskaya, S., Hein, S., Reich, J., Thuma, P., & Grigorenko, E. L. (2016). Identifying Learning Profiles of Children at Risk for Specific Reading Disability. Developmental Science. 19(3), 402-418. doi: 10.1111/desc.12313
- Barbot, B., Lubart T.I. & Besançon, M., (2016). “Peaks, Slumps and Bumps”: Individual differences in the development of Creativity in Children and Adolescents. New Direction for Child and Adolescent Development, 151, 27–39. doi: 10.1002/cad.20152
- Mandelman, S.D., Barbot, B., & Grigorenko, E. L. (2016). Predicting academic performance and trajectories from a measure of successful intelligence. Learning and Individual Differences, 51, 387-393. doi:10.1016/j.lindif.2015.02.003
- McCarthy, J. B, Weiss, S., Segovitch, K., & Barbot. B. (2016). Impact of Psychotic Symptoms on Cognitive Functioning in Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Inpatients with Severe Mood Disorders. Psychiatry Research, 244, 223-228. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2016.07.049
- Naumova, O.Y., Hein, S., Suderman, M., Barbot, B., Lee, M., Raefski, A., Dobrynin, P. V., Szyf, M., Luthar, S. S., Grigorenko, E. L. (2016). Epigenetic Patterns Modulate the Connection between Developmental Dynamics of Parenting and Offspring Psychosocial Adjustment. Child Development, 87(1),98-110. Doi: 10.1111/cdev.12485.
- Ross, G.S., Foran, L.M., Barbot, B., Sossin, K. M., & Perlman, J.M. (2016). Using Cluster Analysis to Provide New Insights Into Development of Very Low Birthweight Premature Infants. Early Human Development, 92(2016), 45–49. Doi: 10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2015.11.005
- Trub, L., & Barbot, B. (2016). The Paradox of Phone Attachment: Development and Psychometric Properties of the Attachment to Phone Scale. Computers and Human behavior, 64, 663-672. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2016.07.050
- Barbot, B., Besançon, M., & Lubart T.I. (2015). Creative Potential in Educational Settings: its Nature, Measure, and Nurture. Education 3-13, 43(4), 371-381. Doi: 10.1080/03004279.2015.1020643
- Barbot, B. & Perchec, C. (2015). New Directions for the Study of Within-Individual Variability in Development: the Power of ‘N = 1’. New Directions in Child and Adolescent Development. 147, 57–67. DOI: 10.1002/cad.20085
- Barbot, B. & Tinio, P.P.L (2015). Where is the “g” in “creativity”? A specialization-differentiation hypothesis. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 8:1041. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2014.01041
- Lannegrand-Willems, L. & Barbot, B. (2015). Forming an European identity: New Challenges of the 21st Century. New Direction for Child and Adolescent Development. 147, 69–76. DOI: 10.1002/cad.20091
- Shadick, R., Dagirmanjian, F. B., & Barbot, B. (2015). Suicide risk among college students: The intersection of sexual orientation and race. Crisis, 36(6):416–423. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000340
- Barbot, B., Crossman, E., Hunter, S. R., Grigorenko E. L.& Luthar., S. S. (2014). Reciprocal Influences Between Maternal Parenting and Child Adjustment in a High-risk Population: A Five-Year Cross-Lagged Analysis of Bidirectional Effects. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 84(5), 567-580. Doi:10.1037/ort0000012
- Barbot, B., Hein, S., Luthar., S. S & Grigorenko E. L. (2014). Capturing Age-group Differences and Developmental Change with the BASC Parent Rating Scales. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. 35(4), 294-303.
- Barbot, B., Heinz, S., & Luthar, S.S. (2014). Parental Reactions to Adolescent Distress (PRAD): Development and Validation of a Brief Measure. Attachment & Human Development. 16, 1, 1-21.
- Barbot, B., Randi, J., Tan, M., Levenson, C., Friedlaender, L., Grigorenko. E. L. (2013). From Perception to Creative Writing: A Multi-method Pilot Study of a Visual Literacy Instructional approach. Learning and Individual Differences, 28, 167-176.
- Barbot, B., Hunter, S.R., Grigorenko E. L., & Luthar, S. S. (2013). Dynamic of Change in Pathological Personality Trait Dimensions: A Latent Change Analysis Among at-Risk Women. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment. 35(2), 173-185.
- Besançon, M., Lubart, T.I., & Barbot, B. (2013). Creative Giftedness and Educational opportunities. Educational and Child Psychology, 30(2), 79-88.
- Lubart, T.I., Zenasni, F., & Barbot, B. (2013). Creative potential and its’ measurement. International Journal for Talent Development and Creativity. 1(2),41-51.
- Mandelman, S.D., Barbot, B., Tan, M. & Grigorenko, E. L. (2013). Addressing the “Quiet Crisis”: Gifted Identification with Aurora. Educational Child Psychology, 30(2), 101-109.
- Tan, M., Barbot, B., Mourgues, C. & Grigorenko, E. L. (2013). Measuring Metaphors: Concreteness and Similarity in Metaphor Comprehension and Gifted Identification. Educational and Child Psychology, 30(2), 89-100.
- Barbot, B. & Hunter, S. R. (2012). Developmental changes in adolescence and risks for delinquency. In E. L. Grigorenko (Ed.), Handbook of Juvenile Forensic Psychology and Psychiatry (pp. 11-34). New York, NY: Springer.
- Barbot, B., Haeffel, G. J., Macomber, D., Hart, L., Chapman, J., & Grigorenko., E. L. (2012). Development and Validation of the Delinquency Reduction Outcome Profile (DROP) in a Sample of Incarcerated Juveniles: A Multi-Construct/Multi-Situational Scoring Approach. Psychological Assessment, 9 (4), 901-912.
- Barbot, B., & Lubart, T.I. (2012). Creative Thinking in Music: Its Nature and Assessment through Musical Exploratory Behaviors. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts. 6(3), 231-242.
- Barbot, B. & Lubart, T.I (2012). Adolescence, Créativité et Transformation de Soi. Enfance, 2012(3), 299-312. [Adolescence, Creativity and Self-Transformation]
- Bick, J., Naumova, O., Hunter, S., Barbot, B., Lee., M., Luthar, S. S., Raefski, A., & Grigorenko, E. L. (2012). Childhood Adversity and DNA Methylation of Genes involved in the HPA axis and Immune System: Whole Genome and Candidate Gene Associations. Development and Psychopathology, 24(4), 1417-1425.
- Barbot, B., Tan, M., Randi, J., Santa-Donato, G., & Grigorenko, E. L. (2012). Essential skills for Creative Writing: Integrating Multiple Domain-Specific Perspectives. Thinking skills and creativity, 7(3), 209-223.
- Barbot, B. (2011). Brief Big Five (BB5), version Adolescent. Editions Hogrefe France [Brief Big Five for adolescents]
- Lubart, T.I., Besançon, M., & Barbot, B. (2011). Evaluation du Potentiel Créatif (EPoC). Editions Hogrefe France. [Evaluation of Creative Potential] (120 pages).
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Hein S, Barbot B, Square A, Chapman J, Geib CF, Grigorenko EL: Violent offending among juveniles: A 7-year longitudinal study of recidivism, desistance, and associations with mental health. Law Hum Behav. 2017 Jun; 2017 Apr 6. PMID: 28383985
- McCarthy JB, Weiss SR, Segovich KT, Barbot B: Impact of psychotic symptoms on cognitive functioning in child and adolescent psychiatric inpatients with severe mood disorders. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Oct 30; 2016 Jul 25. PMID: 27497293
- Barbot B, Krivulskaya S, Hein S, Reich J, Thuma PE, Grigorenko EL: Identifying learning patterns of children at risk for Specific Reading Disability. Dev Sci. 2016 May; 2015 Jun 2. PMID: 26037654
- Barbot B, Lubart TI, Besançon M: "Peaks, Slumps, and Bumps": Individual Differences in the Development of Creativity in Children and Adolescents. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2016 Spring. PMID: 26994723
- Barbot B: Preface: Perspectives on Creativity Development. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2016 Spring. PMID: 26994720
- Barbot B, Bick J, Bentley MJ, Balestracci KM, Woolston JL, Adnopoz JA, Grigorenko EL: Changes in mental health outcomes with the intensive in-home child and adolescent psychiatric service: a multi-informant, latent consensus approach. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2016 Mar; 2015 Jul 15. PMID: 26173903
- Naumova OY, Hein S, Suderman M, Barbot B, Lee M, Raefski A, Dobrynin PV, Brown PJ, Szyf M, Luthar SS, Grigorenko EL: Epigenetic Patterns Modulate the Connection Between Developmental Dynamics of Parenting and Offspring Psychosocial Adjustment. Child Dev. 2016 Jan-Feb. PMID: 26822446
- Ross GS, Foran LM, Barbot B, Sossin KM, Perlman JM: Using cluster analysis to provide new insights into development of very low birthweight (VLBW) premature infants. Early Hum Dev. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 1. PMID: 26651085
- Lannegrand-Willems L, Barbot B: Challenges of adolescent psychology in the European identity context. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2015 Spring. PMID: 25732017
- Barbot B, Perchec C: New directions for the study of within-individual variability in development: the power of "N = 1". New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2015 Spring. PMID: 25732016
- Barbot B, Tinio PP: Where is the "g" in creativity? A specialization-differentiation hypothesis. Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25628551
- Shadick R, Backus Dagirmanjian F, Barbot B: Suicide Risk Among College Student. The Intersection of Sexual Orientation and Race. Crisis. 2015. PMID: 26648229
- Barbot B, Crossman E, Hunter SR, Grigorenko EL, Luthar SS: Reciprocal influences between maternal parenting and child adjustment in a high-risk population: a 5-year cross-lagged analysis of bidirectional effects. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2014 Sep; 2014 Aug 4. PMID: 25089759
- Barbot B, Hein S, Luthar SS, Grigorenko EL: Capturing Age-group Differences and Developmental Change with the BASC Parent Rating Scales. J Appl Dev Psychol. 2014 Jul. PMID: 25045196
- Barbot B, Heinz SL, Luthar SS: Perceived parental reactions to adolescent distress: development and validation of a brief measure. Attach Hum Dev. 2014; 2013 Jun 18. PMID: 23777451
- Barbot B, Hunter SR, Grigorenko EL, Luthar SS: Dynamic of Change in Pathological Personality Trait Dimensions: A Latent Change Analysis Among at-Risk Women. J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2013 Jun 1. PMID: 23710108
- Barbot B, Haeffel GJ, Macomber D, Hart L, Chapman J, Grigorenko EL: Development and validation of the Delinquency Reduction Outcome Profile (DROP) in a sample of incarcerated juveniles: a multiconstruct/multisituational scoring approach. Psychol Assess. 2012 Dec; 2012 Apr 30. PMID: 22545698
- Bick J, Naumova O, Hunter S, Barbot B, Lee M, Luthar SS, Raefski A, Grigorenko EL: Childhood adversity and DNA methylation of genes involved in the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis and immune system: whole-genome and candidate-gene associations. Dev Psychopathol. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23062307
- Belarbi K, Burnouf S, Fernandez-Gomez FJ, Laurent C, Lestavel S, Figeac M, Sultan A, Troquier L, Leboucher A, Caillierez R, Grosjean ME, Demeyer D, Obriot H, Brion I, Barbot B, Galas MC, Staels B, Humez S, Sergeant N, Schraen-Maschke S, Muhr-Tailleux A, Hamdane M, Buée L, Blum D: Beneficial effects of exercise in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease-like Tau pathology. Neurobiol Dis. 2011 Aug; 2011 May 4. PMID: 21569847
- Buée L, Troquier L, Burnouf S, Belarbi K, Van der Jeugd A, Ahmed T, Fernandez-Gomez F, Caillierez R, Grosjean ME, Begard S, Barbot B, Demeyer D, Obriot H, Brion I, Buée-Scherrer V, Maurage CA, Balschun D, D'hooge R, Hamdane M, Blum D, Sergeant N: From tau phosphorylation to tau aggregation: what about neuronal death? Biochem Soc Trans. 2010 Aug. PMID: 20658986