The following are articles by external researchers addressing the work of the School Development Program.
- Anson, A.R., Cook, T.D., Habib, F., Grady M., Haynes, N.M., Comer, J.P. (1991). The Comer School Development Program: A theoretical analysis. Journal of Urban Education, 26 (1), 56-82.
- Borman, G., Hewes, G., & Brown, S., (2002) Comprehensive School Reform and Student Achievement- A Meta-Analysis. CRESPAR, November 2002, Report No. 59.
- Borman, G. (2009). National Efforts to Bring Reform to Scale in America’s High-Poverty Elementary and Secondary Schools: Outcomes and Implications. Washington, DC: Center on Education Policy
- Cook, T.D., Murphy, R.F., Hunt, H.D. (2000). Comer's School Development Program in Chicago: a theory-based evaluation. American Educational Research Journal, 37(2), 535-97.
- Cook, T.D., Hunt, H.D., & Murphy, R.F. (1999). Comer's School Development Program in Chicago: A theory-based evaluation.
- Cook, T.D., Habib, F., Phillips, M., Settersten, R.A., Shagle, S.C., & Degirmencioglu, S.M. (1999). Comer's School Development Program in Prince George's County, Maryland: A theory-based evaluation. American Educational Research Journal, 36(3), 543-597.
(*Please also see the response to this article by James P. Comer and Norris M. Haynes on pages 599-607 of the same issue).
- Millsap, M.A., Chase, A., Obdeidallah, D., Perez-Smith, A., Brigham, N., & Johnston, K. (2000). Evaluation of Detroit’s Comer Schools and Families Initiative. Final Report. Cambridge, MA, Abt Associates, Inc.
- Neufeld, B. & La Bue, M.A. (1994). The Implementation of the School Development Program in Hartford. Final evaluation report. Cambridge, MA: Education Matters, Inc. Payne, C.M. (1994). The Comer School Development Process in Chicago: An interim report. Evanston, IL: Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research, Northwestern University.
- Noblit, G.W., Malloy, W.W., & Malloy, C.E. (2000). The kids got smarter: Case studies of successful Comer Schools. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, Inc.
- Turnbull, B.J., Fiester, L., & Wodatch, J. (1997). "A process, not a program": An early look at the Comer Process in Community School District 13. Washington, DC: Policy Studies Associates, Inc.
- Wong, P.L., Oberman, I., Mintrop, H., & Gamson, D. (1996). Evaluation of the San Francisco Foundation Bay Area School Reform Portfolio. Summary report. Stanford, CA: Stanford University.